Do you value collaboration, continuous improvement, and public service? At this progressive and innovative public transit organization, we believe in providing people with the independence to achieve their goals, creating a more vibrant, sustainable, and equitable community.
Under general supervision, performs skilled mechanical tasks in the diagnosis of malfunctions, preventive maintenance, and repair of various types of transit equipment, either in the maintenance facility or in the field; overhauls major mechanical components; performs thorough mechanical and safety inspections of transit coaches; and related duties that may be assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs mechanical repairs and maintenance of diesel, hybrid, and electric drive transit coaches, and standard passenger vehicles including removal, replacement, repair, and overhaul of major and minor components, to include engine and transmissions.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and repairs mechanical, electrical and hydraulic equipment, and system malfunctions.
- Inspects, tests, adjusts, repairs, and replaces complete or integral parts of gasoline, diesel, hybrid, electrical engines, transmissions, drive units, drive shafts, differentials, lubrication, cooling, electrical (including high voltage), exhaust, and air or hydraulic systems.
- Overhauls and tests engines and transmissions to specifications; disassembles, cleans, inspects, replaces worn or defective parts and reassembles them.
- Install, maintain and repair a variety of auxiliary systems, equipment and electronics.
- Fabricates and machines parts and does acetylene and electrical welding and blacksmithing.
- Operate hydraulic lifts, hoists, jacks, cranes, diagnostic computers and software.
- May be assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor to instruct and/or oversee others.
- Documents work done, material used and time spent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Time Management- Managing one's own time.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Control Precision - The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Manual Dexterity - The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Extent Flexibility - The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Finger Dexterity - The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you
- Medium - Heavy Work: Ability to lift and carry up to 75 pounds occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds frequently, and/or up to 25 pounds constantly to move objects.
- Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, repetitive motions, carrying and driving.
Incumbents at this level are expected to know software related to their assignments at a level that allows them to train other employees in their use. Specific software programs may change over time and incumbents are expected to show the following levels of proficiency with these types of technology:
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job. Education and course work can substitute for years of experience. Typical qualifications would be:
- Four (4) years' experience in mechanical repair in medium to heavy duty truck and/or bus maintenance. OR
- 2 years of experience and an Associates degree in Applied Science, i.e. Automotive/Diesel Technology, electronics, Engineering, etc. or graduation from an approved technical, trade or vocational school or any combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities that would qualify the applicant for this position.
- ASE - Certification, Master Transit bus preferred.
- A valid Oregon State Driver's License and a driving record acceptable to the District's insurance carrier.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain a valid Class B CDL with a P (Passenger Endorsement) issued by the State of Oregon within three.
This classification has been designated as Safety Sensitive and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
Compensation and Work Schedule:
This position is a full-time, non-exempt position, eligible for the regular union benefits package. The pay range starts at $26.27 per hour
The Vehicle Maintenance section operates three shifts (day, swing and graveyard), seven days a week. Work schedules and locations are based on a seniority system and Graveyard and Swing Shift vacancies will be the most likely openings. Swing and graveyard shift employees receive a shift differential. Employees work a 40 hour per week schedule with two consecutive days off, but not necessarily Saturday and Sunday. Employees must be able and willing to work any shift, including any combination of days off.
How to apply:
Visit our website: http://ltdjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/. Submit your resume and cover let. Please complete the required application and assessments as requested. This position is open until filled with a first review of applications by 1-21-22.
For additional information call (541) 682-6100.
The Lane Transit District is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We proudly present this exciting career opportunity which offers an attractive starting wage, an excellent benefit package, and an inclusive, friendly work environment. Lane Transit District values diversity and strives to expand representation at all levels of the workforce. We welcome applications from BIPOC, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and veterans.