Lane Transit District, named Best Mid-Sized Transit System in North America for 2014, is one of the most successful and highly regarded public transit systems in the nation; has received numerous national, state, and local awards for service to the community; and, for transit districts its size, is consistently ranked among the nation's leaders in the successful implementation of Bus Rapid Transit, bus ridership, and service efficiency. LTD is committed to the values of working together, taking initiative, being professional, and practicing safety to provide the highest level of customer service both internally and externally.
Under moderate supervision, provides Public Safety Services for the riding public, LTD employees, and assets.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides information and appropriate assistance concerning public transportation and District facilities.
- Explains, interprets, and enforces District ordinances, rules, regulations, and other statutes.
- Provides reports as required to supervisor's office.
- Patrols District and other jurisdictional areas for the purpose of supporting the district, preventing and detecting violations of ordinances and laws, and reporting violators or issuing citations and service modifications to transit services for violations on foot and by vehicle.
- Performs investigative duties regarding District complaints and incidents.
- Assists law enforcement agencies when necessary and/or requested.
- Provides crowd and traffic control coverage at special events and assigned activities.
- Assists and provides appropriate first aid.
- Writes detailed reports on all accidents, citations, arrests, and other necessary reports.
- Testifies in court as required.
- Responds to emergencies at District locations. Ability to work outside of schedule to support the transit system in the event of an emergency situation.
- Drives a District vehicle, travels to various locations, and responds to emergency situations.
- Interacts with a broad socio-economic cross section of District residents and visitors, providing service in a dignified and respectful manner.
- Work in tandem with Operations Department responding to radio calls supporting the transit system. This will include various tasks as requested by the District.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Standard safety precautions and procedures.
- Self-defense techniques.
- Record-keeping practices/basic LAN computer knowledge.
- Standard safety precautions and procedures.
- Search and seizure laws; general laws regarding property and public order.
- Criminal law regarding public transportation and facilities.
- Tools, tactics, and techniques for preventing acts of terrorism.
- Use a "customer first" approach and deliver outstanding customer service skills to the public, passengers and other district personnel.
- Read, write, speak, and understand English fluently. Fluency in additional languages is desired but not required.
- Understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and procedures.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Use District issued Public Safety/Law Enforcement equipment in a safe, legal, and proper manner.
- Exercise good judgment in handling unruly persons and emergency situations, repel against physical attacks.
- Write accurate reports of incidents.
- Experience as a sworn civilian or military law enforcement officer preferred. Other qualifications may be considered at the discretion of the District.
- Oregon DPSST certification, and/or graduation from an approved civilian or Military Police or Corrections academy, or training equivalent/experience, as determined by the District.
- High school diploma or GED (minimum). Degree/College coursework preferred.
- Uncorrected vision: no more than 20/70 in both eyes; normal color vision.
- Valid Oregon Class C driver's license with acceptable history. Class B with P & A endorsement preferred.
- Sufficient physical strength, flexibility, and endurance to meet LTD standards.
- Requires good physical condition with complete mobility and sensory abilities. This includes the ability to lift and carry up to 100 pounds.
- Must successfully pass an in-depth LTD background investigation, psychological, and medical evaluation.
This position is a full-time, non-exempt position, eligible for the regular union benefits package. The starting was is $18.76 per hour during a nine month probationary period. Starting wage after successful completion of the probation is $20.01 per hour. Current top of the wage scale is $25.51 per hour. The work schedule for this position is determined by a seniority bid system and varies (days, nights, weekends). To be considered for this position, applicants must be able to work any assigned shift.
How to Apply:
For a more detailed description of duties and requirements, visit our website: http://ltdjobs.applicantpool.com/jobs/. Submit your resume and complete the required application and assessments. Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see attached resume" on your application. This position remains open until filled. For additional information call (541) 682-6100.
Lane Transit District ("LTD" or "the District") is committed to providing and maintaining a work environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, workplace bullying, and retaliation. The District demonstrates its commitment to diversity in the way it provides services and through its employment practices, by ensuring that all LTD services, programs, and activities are sensitive to and responsive to cultural differences; demonstrating a commitment to workplace diversity through recruitment, hiring, and promotions; and maintaining a respectful environment free from all forms of harassment, hostility, and violence.
Studies have shown that minoritized individuals often disqualify themselves from opportunities because they don't exactly fit all of the requirements. LTD values diversity and strives to expand representation at all levels of the workforce. We welcome applications from BIPOC, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and veterans. Please contact our HR Department if you have questions.
Lane Transit District is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Materials are available in alternative formats by calling 541-687-5555.